So lately, I've been on the search for a new job, some of you know this, while others may not. However, it's been a journey that has been very stressful, and has its ups and downs. Although the job market is getting better, slowly but surely, my field is so niche, that the jobs are definitely not booming within. As if that doesn't present enough of a problem, it's taking me much longer than most, as I am taking this opportunity to really evaluate my life, my career, and my future, and decide what path I want to go on moving forward.
Like many, I "fell into" my career after college. I graduated with a great degree, a double major in Finance and Insurance Risk Management, but you fall into your career based on the opportunities presented to you upon graduation, who will hire you, what type of company is it, is it a large or small firm, you don't know, but you take the position hoping for the best, and not realizing at the time, (because of course nobody quite tells you this)......that once you obtain experience in that field or department, you may just very well be STUCK....and that's how many people end up miserable in their careers and life, because they got stuck in a job that they hated, but didn't have the courage to take the risk and leave it for one that they loved, or at least wanted to try to pursue.
That is where my path has led me now. I have done a lot of soul searching over the past few months, about what I wanted to do, and realized, that although I liked my previous positions and jobs, I really wanted to change my career path and lead myself to one that still incorporates the aspects I loved, but also helped me to advance and obtain the skills which I still lacked. So here I am now, looking for a job that will jump start my career again.....it may not be the most ideal situation, but if you never take the risk, how could you possibly ever reap the reward?
So through this process, I have come to read lots of articles, and learnt a lot about how the business world works, and in the meantime, while I'm waiting patiently for my "window of opportunity", I am also advancing myself, and studying to be better for that new position, once our paths cross.......
Here are some good articles, I'd suggest reading as I found them very motivating and interesting :
Super Successful People Do These Things before 8 am
One of my Favorites: A Guide on What To Do With Your Life
Be Resilient: Stand Back Up, When Life Knocks You Down

No comments:
Post a Comment