My Life, My Journey

My Life, My Journey

Blog Archive

Monday, June 10, 2013

Rome: Day 2

Since I saw most of the sights in Rome yesterday, today was more of a "revisit" and roam around type of day to just take it all in since yesterday was more of a fast paced day.

So I finally got a chance to sleep in which was fabulous, it's amazing what sleep can do for you, when you've been lacking it....lol. Then I headed into town with a couple people to actually go into the colosseum and the Roman Forum! On our way in, we ran into two brothers from Denmark who were heading the same way, so they joined us and we all went into town together.  Let me tell you, the inside of the colosseum was amazing! It was so amazing to imagine what used to be, and see where people used to sit and where the gladiators fought and it was just a moment of awe, as you can see in the picture below:


We also went to the forum, and walked around the ruins of what used to be where the roman dictators used to meet and make decisions.

After seeing the forum we went based on a recommendation from my sister to the gelatarie which is supposedly the best one in Rome: San Crispinos. It was a great recommendation, I got the creme whiskey and creme hazelnut!  Delicious! This place was so good, I really should've had another taste before heading back to the hostel later in the evening, but hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it.  I'm not worried though, as I know I will be back to Rome for more of San Crispino's gelato one day!


This was not my first gelato, and it was definitely not my last in Italy....I have three cities in Italy I'm visiting, so lots of carbs (pizza and pasta) and gelato will be consumed!!!   ;)

So at this point we all split off and kind of did our own thing, which was perfect, because I feel that the entire tour thus far I've been in a "group",because obviously we are all there for the same reason, to see the same sights and experience the city, so it's always better with others, than to wander by yourself. So yes, I expected that, as that's what a tour is about, however it hasn't given me much time to just be by myself and take in the sights or the trip itself. 

To be honest, this trip was intended to be a "break from life and reality" just for a short period, and so when you're in a confined space with others constantly, spending majority of your time on a bus, or in a hostel or what not, it can get to a point where you just need some time for YOU, so this was my time for me, and since Rome had quickly turned into a city that I was in love with, it was the perfect place to just sit down, people watch, enjoy some pasta, wine, and take it all in. So I enjoyed just strolling through the streets at my own pace and sitting by the Trevi fountain and on the Spanish Steps just thinking about life and this opportunity and having a "me" moment!!!  It was just what I needed! 

I also walked around Piazza Navano again and since it was the weekend it was packed with street artists and tourists! I ended up buying some paintings of the colosseum, Trevi fountain, and the Spanish steps,  I definitely wanted to take something home to represent this in my house when I get back to the US.

I was soon to learn, that Rome would become one of my favorite cities in Europe, and on this tour. It was just amazing, so much history behind each sight, and yet so much liveliness and character to the city outside of the historic buildings. I just could've wandered around for hours and got lost in this city, and been simply in bliss. Can't say enough how much I loved and will always remember my time in this city.

This was essentially how I ended my day in Rome before returning back to the hostel.







No comments:

Post a Comment